If you’re wondering about the dental tools you see at your check-up every six months, check out this guide from Essential Dental Of Roslyn.
Is It Time To Visit The Dentist?
Did you know that you should visit the dentist’s office twice a year, or once every 6 months? It is essential to visit a dentist for a full examination and cleaning, even if you are not currently showing any signs of tooth decay or gum disease. Despite regular brushing and flossing, tartar can still form on your teeth and host bacteria, which can lead to gum disease and tooth decay if not removed.
When you go to the dentist, they will first do a general inspection of your teeth. If you have not been in a while, they will likely order x-rays. An oral hygienist will then use special metal instruments to scrape away any tartar along the gum line. Afterwards, the dentist will go over the x-rays and discuss any symptoms you may be having, as well as making a recommendation for any treatment and answering any questions.
What Dental Tools Can I Expect To See During My Visit?
- The mouth mirror is a dental tool that you may have noticed before, for those who have previously had dental cleanings. It consists of a small mirror attached to one end, which helps the dentist get a clear view into the mouth. This tool helps the dentist detect tooth decay, cavities and gum disease, while also enabling them to move the tongue away without using their hands. It is shaped to easily fit in the mouth and allows the dentist to check out all angles. Viewing the inside of your own mouth is challenging due to the limited space, but the mouth mirror makes it much simpler for the dentist to get a good view.
- The saliva ejector is an invaluable tool for both dentists and patients alike. It is a small vacuum that removes any excess saliva from the mouth during a dental treatment, helping to keep the work area clean and free from calculus. Moreover, it prevents the patient from becoming overwhelmed by their saliva production. Ultimately, the saliva ejector is a simple and effective way of streamlining the dental process.
- The scaler is an essential tool for the dentist’s office, often seen as the most intimidating. It is used to scrape away tartar and plaque build-ups from the teeth and gums, especially larger ones. For those with healthy teeth, it is not often used, so there should be no pain. However, if the patient has any issues such as gingivitis, it might cause discomfort due to the bacteria and inflammation of the gums. The scaler is important for preventing tooth decay and can be used to fight gum disease.
- Many patients fear the dental probe, but it is essential for finding cavities and gum disease. The probe has a sharp hook used to detect pockets between teeth and scrape away plaque and tartar. It can cause discomfort when there is visible damage to the tooth, as it is needed to assess the damage and plan the healing process. Additionally, the probe is used to examine the gums, similarly to the scaler, but with more of a focus on the gums. There is no need to dread the probe if the teeth are healthy, yet if there are issues with the gums, the dentist must work to remove any bacteria and plaque underneath.
- If you have a cavity, the dental drill may be necessary to address it. Despite being a bit nerve-wracking for some, this is a typical and benign procedure. The drill is used to cautiously extract any rotting and fill the tooth, or to refine it after the conclusion of the procedure. Even though the vibration may appear strange, it won’t cause damage to your teeth.
Essential Dental Of Roslyn Is The Right Choice
For your dentist’s appointment, you couldn’t ask to be in better hands than with Dr. Krasnyansky. Dr. Krasnyansky, also known as Dr. K., is a passionate dentist who is always prepared to provide the highest quality of care to her patients. She sees her role in the community as an opportunity to improve the health and appearance of her patients’ smiles, as well as to educate the public on how to remain healthy and free from dental diseases. Her desire to help people smile again was the driving force that pushed her to pursue a career in dentistry.
Whether it’s time for your twice-a-year dentist’s check-up, or if you wonder how you could benefit from certain dentistry treatments, call the experts at Essential Dental Of Roslyn. At Essential Dental Of Roslyn, we are glad to treat patients from Roslyn Heights, East Hills, and the surrounding neighborhoods with general, family, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry as well as specialized beauty treatments. Call us at 516-621-2430 to learn about our services today.